Tuesday 20 December 2011

A walk in the woods

Last March, I set off to Caldy RUFC to watch a game. On the way, I had a fundamental misunderstanding of the geography of the area. I thought the hill behind West Kirby was a ridge, with Thurstaston, where the club play, on top. It is in fact a round hill, with Thurstaston on the other side.

Without a map on hand to correct me, that short cut through Caldy Woods was not a short cut at all, but took me in completely the wrong direction. By the time I realised this, correcting my route would have taken me to the end of the first half, so there seemed little point continuing.

To avoid a wasted trip, I started to take pictures of the woods, and, feeling a bit lazy, I just left the 70-300mm lens on the camera, and took all my pictures with that.
 The rest of the collection from March can be seen here.

I thought it would be interesting to go to the same location every couple of months to see how the woods grow and decay over the year. Part 2 came at the end of April, just before Easter...
... part 3 in June ...
... and part 4 at the beginning of September - to my surprise, this was the one with the most difficult lighting so far, as the full canopy of leaves made the woods darker than earlier in the year.
There will be a part 5, I took the pictures in November, but I am a bit behind with my updating, and the timing of part 6 depends on whether we have any significant snow in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment